Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Ancestry, as I know it

 I have always been interested in family history and genealogy. I think it began when my Mom would take us to old cemeteries in RI and Mass. and we would talk about what their lives may have been like.  My mother's parents were from very different backgrounds. Her father, Henri Larue's, family was from Canada. He had a large family, about 12 in all. His wife, Dorothy, my grandmother,had the maiden name Winsor, a descendant of the Windsors in England. When they emigrated to America in 1664/7, they dropped the 'd to distance themselves from the family ties in England. My ancestors helped Roger Williams start Rhode Island as a state, and one of them married a daughter of Roger Williams,Mercy (Williams)Waterman. There were several Reverends in the Winsor line who served in churches in RI.
 My father's family is also a mix of backgrounds. His mother's family emigrated from Galicia, Austria,Ukraine. Her father's surname was Glowacki. Her mother's maiden name was (Tekla) Szewczuk. They both were from the same area in Galicia, but he emigrated through Canada, and stayed with family, and she came through Ellis Island. They reconnected in RI, where they married and raised a family, My grandmother,Mary(/Marie), Sophie, Josie, Annie, and an uncle
 My father's father was Glodome Bernache. His last name should have been Berneche, but a mistake on his birth certificate was never corrected, so it became permanent. He was a cobbler in Woonsocket,RI, also served as a Master Sergeant in the ARMY,but I don't know more than that. 
 I will post more on this,including pics from the family album, this summer as time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment