Thursday, February 27, 2014

Importance of reading labels,esp meds

A short story on the importance of reading the entire label,on everything.
While dealing with my cold symptoms, I used the kids' cold/allergy meds because I like the flavor better. When it was the middle of the night and I was still awake from a hacking cough,I resorted to taking Robitussin cough relief. After about an hour I was still coughing,and felt worse. I went to lie down on the couch and tried resting,but my insides felt swollen and had a burning sensation. It was difficult to get a good breath and felt as though something was blocking my trachea. After debating in my mind what could be causing the symptoms, it occurred to me to look more closely at the ingredients of the cough syrup.I mustered up the energy and read the front label.It had Dextro...plus some alcohol,not a problem,then I looked at the Inactive ingredients and found the culprit. Menthol! I am allergic to menthol,and here I just consumed it.No wonder I felt awful,it was a reaction.I took some liquid motrin because a pill wouldn't have made it down.Then went to bed and waited.I slowly felt my breath return and my heart rate went back to normal. My insides still ache,but at least I can breath and swallow again.I had no idea I was so allergic to menthol,and will be sure to check all meds in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment