Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My day on 9/11/2001..

   My day started as any other, with dropping off my kids at school before heading to work. While at work, my daughter's school nurse called to ask if I could pick her up because she was feeling sick. I picked her up and brought her home to rest on the couch.While scanning channels for a show she could watch, I noticed a news bulletin about one of the Twin Towers being on fire. They still hadn't known the cause.
 My husband was also home getting ready to leave for work. He reached out and took my hand.and we watched in wonder at what was happening. I was glad he was by my side.
  Not long after, the second tower was hit! We were shocked and stunned!  WHAT!? How could this happen?! No words could describe the fear and confusion we felt. Reports of other airplanes being hijacked and used to create human bombs against the United States of America started coming in. When the Pentagon was hit, I realized how calculated and broad the scope of the attacks were.We sat in shock, unable to comprehend what was unfolding minute by minute.  Our country was under attack and thousands of innocent lives were taken. I couldn't tear myself from watching the reports. It didn't seem real to see planes flown into high profile buildings or crashed on purpose. I wanted to know why. What could make people hate me so much that they were killing my countrymen.Some footage showed panicked victims trying to flee the burning towers by jumping. Only one is known to have survived. The smoke and pandemonium was awful. When the first tower fell, our jaws dropped. It looked like it imploded. Would the other one also fall? would it topple over and crush everyone on the block, or implode like the first? When it also fell straight down, we were surprised and gasped at how huge the plume of rubble and dust flew up and around.
“Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward and freedom will be defended.” “We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail,” George W. Bush
WE WILL RISE AND REBUILD


. We knew America was about to change, for better or worse.
   When my husband left for work, he found there was no cell phone service. No way of getting in touch besides a pay phone. All air traffic was halted. Life and the comfort zone we felt were forever changed.
As for those involved in the rescue efforts, as one quote posted on a memorial states:
 All gave some.
Some gave all.
We will not forget!

God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment