Monday, April 15, 2013

Time to clean your room, and now mine..

 I have dealt with this issue with each of my three kids. I haven't made a big deal of it because it is their space and they seem to like using their floor as one big shelf. My only rule is there can be no food in it. Out of my kids, the youngest is a seven year old boy who doesn't see the point of cleaning when he's just going to mess it up again. My girls felt the same way, but eventually got around to getting it done, and are now adults who like having a clean room.
 When his room needed to be cleaned this past weekend, I went in with him and said to start by putting any dirty clothes in the wash, clean ones in their correct drawers, not under the bed or all stuffed into one place. We looked over the toys and realized many of them belonged in the play room downstairs, and several were outgrown. I put myself to task of gathering all the baby things (more than I thought) and put them in my office(now cluttered with baby stuff).
 There were many books on the bookshelf he has also outgrown, which he is donating to a few baby boys we know. He read a few for the last time, including the one about Trucks, and Thomas the train. He's starting to read chapter books now and made room for those.
I should have taken a 'before' pic, but this is what it looks like at the moment:

 When we were done, he was surprised how neat and open his room looked. When he woke up the next morning, he put his clothes in the hamper because he didn't want to clutter his floor. Weird, but maybe this is the beginner of his growing up. or, maybe just a temporary fluke. Either way, he was proud of himself for making and keeping it neat.
 Now for the task of sorting through my office, and get all emotional putting their baby stuff into bags to give or pack away. My babies are grown up and I still want to read them their stories play with their toys ;)
Mom of a growing boy, and loving it,
Lori LC

No comments:

Post a Comment